Thursday, May 10, 2007

Good Reads..

I guess maybe I can also use this blog spot to share what I'm reading lately.
Who doesn't love to read?
Well, I guess lots of people hate to read actually, but I don't.

This weekend I had to do a lot of driving. I LOVE to listen to audiobooks in the car, so when I left Winston-Salem to come back home, I stopped at Edward McKay to find a lil' somethin'. I picked up Eat Love Pray: A Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India, and Indonesia by Elizabeth Gilbert. I'd seen it at the grocery store I worked at numerous times and always thought about picking it up. But then I'd think about how little time I have to read, how many other books I have who's bindings are waiting to be broken, and I just never made my way to the counter with it.
This book is actually quite unbelieveable. I wouldn't say I agree with much of what she says, but I enjoy it immensely. It is a collection of essays about her search for "everything." From good food to internal peace to pleasure to God, she spends two years of her life simply searching. My favorite line so far: "Congratulations to meet you," she says to God when she finally feels like she experiences Him for the first time.

Another book I'm working on (this one I'm actually reading and not listening to) is Searching for God Knows What by Donald Miller. One of my favorite books is one of his, it's called Blue Like Jazz. This one is written in a similar fashion. It's also a collection of essays about his life experiences. He writes as though he's having a personal, one-on-one conversation with the reader. I've learned so much about how to live my life from this man. He is wise and simple, and I love it. My favorite line: "That is when I realized the most terrible thing I'd ever realized: Santa doesn't wash his hands after he uses the bathroom."

No comments: